Charles Jenkins wins second-straight Haggerty Award
Hofstra junior guard Charles Jenkins followed up a CAA Player of the Year season by winning his second straight Haggerty Award. The award goes to the best player in the Metropolitan New York Area, selected by the Metropolitan Basketball Writers Association.
"It means a lot," Jenkins said. "It shows I continue to work as hard as I can."
Jenkins averaged 20.6 points per game this past season as well as 4.5 rebounds per game and 3.9 assists per game. He is the fifth player in Hofstra history to win the award and the first to win it twice. "For me to get the award back-to-back means a lot," Jenkins said. He was also very proud that the award showed how hard he worked over the summer after winning his first Haggerty Award.
Jenkins has another full season to try and win a third Haggerty Award, which has not been done since Chris Mullin of St. John's won for the third year in a row in 1985. "I think I can [win a third]," Jenkins said. "I would never say there is something that I can't do."
Jenkins won both awards under Tom Pecora who has left Hofstra to take the head-coaching job at Fordham University. New Pride coach Tim Welsh has pledged to play an up-tempo style, which excited Jenkins. "I think the transition game is my game." He expects his scoring averages to increase with the new offense.
Though all the individual awards flatter him, Jenkins was eager to talk about his team. "The goal I set for myself is for my team to play in the tournament," he said. "For all the awards I have won, my team has never played in the tournament."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Hofstra Chronicle News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE HOFSTRA CHRONICLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections